Saturday, December 3, 2011

Will they all say, "No thank you!"

 My mind is perplexed; our witnessing seems to fall on deaf ears.
On the first Sabbath of each month our church has a potluck--C.S. Lewis had interesting things to say about church; the umbrellas, arranging, potlucks, and other such "botheration's." And members of the church bring a well-prepared array of dishes that promote one's appetite for conversation. fellowship, and of course, eating; the least important of the three.,
Yesterday we delivered some small things that were needed to a local fellowship group. Speaking to the gentleman that accepted the items, I asked, "Why don't you folks come to our church tomorrow; there will be plenty of good food and you're certainly welcome." My wife understands how these things work, so she set about cooking while I went to the market to get more stuff. After all, if you're going to have guests you need make certain there is something to put on the plate.
Not one of them came; not one.
This small, but disappointing experience made me think of Jesus Christ; The Creator of all things [John 1:1-3, Colossians 1:16. Hebrews 1:1-3, and Revelation 14:6 and 7].
God came to this earth to save us from the ultimate penalty of sin; eternal separation from Him...which will come to those who choose to say, "Thank you God, but no thank You."  The Christ was not well received. Satan (through king Herod) tried to kill Him, but Joseph, warned of this in a dream, took Mary and the infant God of the Universe into Egypt where they lived until Herod was dead [Matthew 2:7-22].
We invite friends to church where they hear the truth about the Sabbath, agree that it is so, and never return. The 7th day Sabbath is that 10% of the Ten Commandments most of the Christian world has rejected in favor of Tradition.
Perhaps I'm overstating my disappointment about a few men missing a meal...but perhaps not. For me, the real issue is jealousy; I am jealous for my God, and with Paul, I am not ashamed to say it [Romans 1:16].
When I read how the Pharisees and crowd accused Jesus of blasphemy and wanted to kill Him [John chapter 10] I don't really have much of a complaint. But there is an issue that won't go away; when we extend an invitation, will the answer be.... "No thank you." ec 

No comments: