Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Only A Little Better

The memory of Loma Linda is a day old and I'm doing better, but only a little.
I have to presume that most don't know they live in Laodicea. I also have to presume that they don't care. Because...if we did...while some would surely stay there would be a lot of folks moving to Philadelphia (I don't mean Mr. Penn's sylvatic retreat)..
Once upon a time (just to see if I could ruffle feathers), on my recommendation a biochemistry professor and I each had a T-shirt made that read; "Laodicea; Love It or Leave It." The project was a resounding success if one measures success by frowns, scowls, snarly remarks, and general disapproval. But we had made a/our point. Interestingly, what we were trying to say was that if one chooses to remain in spiritual Laodicea, they should be whole-hearted about it; be rich, be naked, be miserable, be blind, and eventually be vomited out of the mouth of the Lord. The whole project was intended to encourage movement TO the Lord.
The problem was, and is, that the real meaning of the message flew right over the heads of our intended targets. Id est, they didn't get it. (Maybe it's time to have another "Laodicea" T-shirt made???). What say you?
God has a cure for the malady of Laodicea; a little gold, a few yards of white linen, and a little eye salve (see Rev. 3).
I get too upset about these things but then that's the way I'm wired. I am well aware that there are dear souls who would rather that I just sit down and shut up (which translated means don't write one critical/observational word about anything but just sit in your assigned pew and swallow whatever medicine is compounded; and don't ask, "Who is the pharmacist?" [That's a sideways reference to the Great Controversy].
Here's a text for everyone to ponder; "I have set watchmen upon thy walls, O Jerusalem, [which] shall never hold their peace day nor night: ye that make mention of the LORD, keep not silence, And give him no rest, till he establish, and till he make Jerusalem a praise in the earth." [Isaiah 62:6, 7].

I love what Isaiah says; don't give him (it should be, "Him") any rest. Ply Him with prayers, petitions, fasting, and whatever it takes to move God to move His people who will move His church who will move the world.
God Bless. e.c.

No comments: