Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Frankly My Dear...

I am surprised at the level of racial vitriol being thrown over the back fence by supposed neighbors. The nation is not healing; old wounds are reopening and new ones appearing. A Dutch dentist once said to me, "If you ain't Dutch, you ain't much!" Perhaps that is supposed to be funny but I do not suppose it so. The  joke between Norway and Sweden is "One thousand Swedes chased through the weeds by one Norwegian." Laughable, but not really funny.
I remember Rwanda. One continent, one nation, two tribes, hundreds of thousands murdered. I remember WWII and the Shua...Holocaust...and the killing of six million Jews. I remember standing on the third floor of the home of Anne Frank in Amsterdam, looking out the rear window and thinking of prosecution and persecution of that girl...and all because she was a Jew.
So now we have the Ying and Yang of racial politics; the black-white thing rising out of the still bloodied and muddied waters of this nation. They say that nothing is as simple as black and white, but a more likely gray. But what with the news of the past weeks it is black and white and it ain't simple.
There is an answer, but it is not found in the wisdom or reasoning of man. Those are the gods of Secular Humanists. The answer is Jesus Christ. Racial hatred is beyond my ken. I simply do not understand the rationale of hatred. Never have. Never will.
Call me "Cracker" if you will and I will smile and laugh it off. Sorry, but I am not offended by things so elemental and meaningless.
"By this shall all men know that you are my disciples; if you have love one for another." I guess you'll just have to look it up. I forgot the text. Sounds like John doing the quoting of Jesus.
Blessings. e.c.

1 comment:

Flutterby said...

I agree. I don't get that kind of hatred either. Thank you for reminders of a better way.