Wednesday, March 31, 2010

In the Name of Jesus...

John 3:18 [NKJV]. "He/she who believes in Him is not condemned; but he/she who does not believe is condemned already, because he/she has not believed in the name* of the only begotten Son of God."
It's my job to walk the dogs morning and evening. It's not a hard job; we walk, we pause, they sniff, and I think. This morning I was thinking about a Bible phrase.  Until now I haven't done even drive-by thinking about the matter, let alone a slower walk-by kind of thinking. Prayers are almost always closed with the phrase; "...we ask these things in the name of Jesus Christ..."
For years and decades I've heard and said these words without giving thought to three specific words; in the name.
In the past I've talked about [Hebrew] HaShem which means simply, TheName and just a few days ago I wrote about the I AM, which was God's reply when Moses asked, "Who shall I say sent me?"  To the Jews, the name of God is too sacred to be reduced to anything like a nickname, which is why they write G-d, and speak of TheName.
During breakfast I voiced my thoughts and asked my bride for hers. She gave me a gem; one which I think reaches into the heart of the question, why...in the name?
Here in essence is what she said: Over time, there have been so many false Gods and so much false worship that to pray, to worship, to live in the name of Jesus marks believers as distinct and different from every form of false and pagan worship...past and present.
Paganism is very present tense. Online pagan worship sites allow one to design their own altar to Diana (Artemis) the goddess of the Ephesians (see Acts 19:35).
It may seem a small point to argue, but in the light of the horrific battle between good and evil, I will say that it is important for believers to put the forces of evil on notice when we speak of the Christ, and when we pray in the name* of Jesus Christ. There is only one God and His Christ. The enemy is forced to fall back simply because of the power in and behind  TheName.
Say the name aloud...say and pray it frequently. That Name is the source of Power to overcome all other malignant names under heaven, which leads me to close with the verse that goes like this: ..."for there is no other name* under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved." [Acts 4:12]. *Emphasis added.
Have a blessed day...in the Name of Jesus the Christ. e.c.

No comments: