Thursday, March 25, 2010

Who Is, I AM?

If I were to say that Jesus, the Christ, is the great I AM who would believe it? Many already know, and that is good because "knowing" brings a deeper sense of reverence and respect to one's relationship with God.
The first time we encounter these words is in the Old Testament. Moses is in the desert and wonders at the sight of a bush on fire that is not being consumed. The story begins Exodus chapter three (which should be read for full context). We will pick it up at verse 13. "Then Moses said to God, "Indeed, when I come to the children of Israel and say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you' and they say to me, 'What is His name?' What shall I say to them?" "And God said to Moses, 'I AM WHO I AM.' "Thus you shall say to the children of Israel," I AM has sent me to you.'" [Exodus 3:13,14]. Here is where it gets interesting: In John chapter 8 the Pharisees are verbally sparring with Jesus with full intention of stoning Him to death for blasphemy because He claims to be God. They say to Him, "You are not yet fifty years old, and have You seen Abraham?" 'Jesus said to them, "Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.'" [John 8:57, 58].
Why is this significant? Here is why: It means that Jesus (I AM) led the children of Israel out of Egypt; It means that it was the power of Jesus that parted the Red Sea; It means that Jesus gave Moses the plans on the mountain for the Tabernacle in the desert; It means, for Seventh-day Adventists, that it was Jesus who wrote the Ten Commandments on the tables of stone with His finger.
Many contend that the Ten Commandments were nailed to the cross and done away with as part of the ceremonial law. Sadly, they do err. In Matthew chapter five Christ quotes two of the Commandments (murder, adultery) and in chapter 12 of Matthew He proclaims Himself "...Lord of the Sabbath..." [Matthew 12:8]. This He has authority to do for two reasons: 1) Christ created all things [Revelation 14:7, Hebrews 1:1,2, Colossians 1:15-17, John 1:1-3].
A final thought: If Jesus Christ created all things, then is He not also Creator of the Sabbath? Can mere man undo with the stroke of a pen what Jesus the Christ created and inscribed in stone and into the heart of man with His own finger? You decide.
Blessings. e.c.

No comments: