Thursday, October 28, 2010

Tears In A Bottle

David was on the run from the Philistines (Phoenicians) when he was captured in Gath. Somewhere along the path from Gath to freedom he composed a Michtam. He instructed the Chief Musician that it be...Set to "The Silent Dove in Distant Lands." What is a Michtam?
Bible Dictionary

Michtam definition:
(a) writing; i.e., a poem or song found in the titles of Ps. (chapters 16 and 56-60). by a word meaning "tablet inscription" or a "stelograph." The root of the word means to stamp or grave, and hence it is regarded as denoting a composition so precious as to be worthy to be engraven on a durable tablet for preservation; or, as others render, "a psalm precious as stamped gold," from the word _kethem_, "fine or stamped gold."
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Michtam
So much for instruction and information; what about inspiration?
"Be merciful to me, O God, for man would swallow me up;
Fighting all day he oppresses me.
My enemies would hound me all day,
For there are many who fight against me, O Most High.
Whenever I am afraid, I will trust in You.
In God (I will praise His word),
In God I have put my trust; I will not fear.
What can flesh do to me?
All day they twist my words;
All their thoughts are against me for evil.
They gather together,
They hide, they mark my steps,
When they lie in wait for my life.
Shall they escape by iniquity?
In anger cast down the peoples, O God?
You number my wanderings;
Put my tears in a bottle;
Are they not in Your book?
When I cry out to You,
Then my enemies will turn back;
This I know, because, God is for me.
In God (I will praise His word),
In the Lord (I will praise His word),
In God I have put my trust;
I will not be afraid.
What can man do to me.
Vows made to You are binding upon me, O God;
For You have delivered my soul from death.
Have you not kept my feet from falling,
That I may walk before God
In the light of the living?
[Psalms 56:1-13] [Emphasis added]
We serve a loving God; a God so caring that David poetically describes Him as 'putting (our) tears into (a) bottle.'  And what does He do with that bottle? I like to believe that we will empty them into the River of Life.
Blessings. e.c.

No comments: