Tuesday, June 21, 2011

It's Only a Word

Is a good memory a good thing? Perhaps. There are things I want to forget...things I long to forget...things, heart-breaking things I pray to forget; but I don't; I can't.
There is a word, and while it's only a word, it touches the inner parts of our being...our soul.
The word is remorse, and the meaning comes clearer when we think about it as not one word, but two words. Morse: From Middle English mors, from Middle French, morse, bite, from Old French, bite. Think of a morsel of food: It's not a meal, just a small bite.
Remorse comes back to bite again and again...re-morse. The foolish things we did as children or as grown up children are stuck in muck of our memories. And oh how we wish we could undo the past, and more so with each returning small bite
But thank God, He will not remember our sins. Some of us are cursed with too much memory. The prayer of David is my prayer: "Remember, O Lord, Your tender mercies and Your lovingkindness, for they are from of old. Do not remember the sins of my youth, nor my transgressions; according to Your mercy remember me for Your goodness' sake." [Psalms 25: 6, 7]

No comments: