Sunday, April 19, 2009

"Blab-Off"

We bought a new TV console from a store on McKinley Avenue in Tacoma, Washington. My father had only one leg so it was my job to get on the roof and rotate the antenna until the picture (I think it was KING-TV) came clear. It was (of course) black and white TV but we thought we were the Ritz of our street. The first TV I ever saw was a six inch screen. Perhaps that's where the "watch" originated in one's watching TV.
I remember the program we watched that first day; It was called Omnibus because it dealt with lots of different kinds of stuff. The show was hosted by Alistair Cooke who later became the longest running announcer of Masterpiece Theatre.
Then there came sponsors and advertising. A family friend gave us a device called a 'Blab-Off" which was a line switch that had to be wired into one of the TVs speaker wires. No "mute" button in the 50's.
And the point? You ask. For me the time has come to click the Blab-Off, hit the "mute" button, or just turn off the TV. I weary of commentators and their guests trying to talk over each other, ranting and opinion on empty air.
I do have one TV weakness: 3ABN. Probably some will sniff because they think it too folksy; the music too southern-gospel-like, the speakers overly represented from the Southern US, and yadda, yadda, yadda. So, I'm a simple guy who likes the simplicity of the Gospel and the likes of men who preach such as David Assherick, Jim Gilley, Kenneth Cox, Jac Colon, Dwight Nelson, James Rafferty and Ty Gibson.....need I go on.
The Holy Spirit has graciously cured me of trivial TV on to spiritual meat rather than milk; or something much worse.
Think about turning off the TV and letting the Lord build a fire in your belly for him. Blab-Off.
God Bless. e.c.

No comments: