Wednesday, December 10, 2008

It's A Blessing...And A Curse

There's something about having too good a memory that, as Monk would say, is a blessing...and a curse.
I can remember phone numbers from childhood, the minutiae of places, people, events, and sometimes it just drives me nuts. Some things deserve to be forgotten; things that are corrosive to one's spirit; abrasions on one's mind that never heal; weeping wounds requiring a daily change of dressing; words that reverberate in the gyri and sulci of my brain.
So what is one to do?
Somebody said, "Pray". What do you think, I'm stupid, and haven't thought of that; haven't done that?
God is there to carry us (you, me especially) through the muck of this life all the while forgiving us and wrapping us daily in a fresh, new, clean, white robe of His righteousness.
Sometimes children come in from play and are so dirty you can't even let them in the house. "Take your clothes off and stand right there" is the order given, and the water goes to the child rather than the child to the water (read bathtub).
Christ says to the fallen world; "Wait here. I'll be right back." And so he comes with soap and water of the Spirit and a fresh robe of His righteousness.
When Jesus ascended into heaven forty days after His crucifixion He essentially said, "Wait here. I'll be right back.!"
And so we wait, and we hope, and we get dirty in the grime that no TV-pitched-cleanser will remove. (Not even the stuff sold by the annoying guy with the high-pitched loud voice. "Hi. I'm Billy ****). Yeah. That one.
Anyway, where was I [just kidding]. Don't let cynics, critics, friends, family, or any annoying individuum rob you of your hope. Look up each day and think of Jesus saying, "Wait here. I'll be right back!!!"
God Bless. e.c.

No comments: