Sunday, February 1, 2009

Here I Am, Lord

I love to read Isaiah, and one of my favorites is in the 6th chapter. It happened in the year that king Uzziah died that Isaiah, in vision, saw the Lord sitting on a throne. The throne was high, lifted up and the train of the Lord's robe filled the temple.
Isaiah saw seraphim (a class of angel) that had six wings. Two wings covered his feet, two covered his face, and two were used for flight. There were at least two seraphim because Isaiah says that "...one cried to another and said: 'Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of Hosts; the whole earth is full of His glory.' " [Isaiah 6:3].
The door posts shook when the seraphim spoke and the '...house was filled with smoke.' [vs.4] Obviously something powerful was happening here; so powerful that Isaiah cried out, "Woe is me, for I am undone!" The word "woe" is the Hebrew, oye, [Strong #188] which is a "passionate cry of grief and despair." The word "undone" [Strong 1820] is the Hebrew damah (da-mam) which means, "to cease, cause to cease, cut off, destroy, perish."
Isaiah thought for sure he was done for because he knew he was a man of unclean lips and he live with a people also of unclean lips [Strong 2931] (tame') (impure). And all this came from only seeing the Lord in His temple because as yet in Isaiah's narrative the Lord had not spoken.
The next scene sees a serphim flying towards him with a live coal in his hand which he had taken (with tongs) from the altar. The seraphim touches Isaiah's lips with the live coal (apparently Isaiah is not burned but something much more interesting takes place). The seraphim says, "Behold, this has touched your lips; your iniquity is taken away, and your sin purged." [vs.7].
Remember, the coal came from the altar and Isaiah's sin is purged (Strong 3722) (kaphar) (cover, purge, make an atonement, make reconciliation). To the Essayist, this has all the marks of Christ's role as Redeemer and Sacrifice for our sins.
It is here the Lord speaks. He asks a question. "Whom shall I send, and who will go for Us?" Isaiah doesn't hesitate; "Here am I! Send me." And the Lord speaks again: "Go, and tell this people....." [vs.9].
You know of course there comes an obvious question; who among us will go, can go, want to go? My wife is reading a book titled, Here I Am Lord; Send Someone Else. I guess that's me. Perhaps it's you. I don't know. But here is what I do know; you and I need a clearer vision of the power and glory of the Lord. When we grasp the meaning of Revelation 14:7, "Fear God and give glory to Him..." we will, like Isaiah quickly respond; "Lord, I'll go. Send me/us/all of us/the whole church..."
"He that is in you is greater than he that is in the world." [I John 4:4].
God Bless. e.c.

No comments: