Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Peace And Safety!!

I guess you watched President Obama address the joint session of the United States Congress. Perhaps you were impressed; perhaps not. Whichever, it was both interesting and curious to watch the congress and the gallery stand in applause again and again. And today---sort of a morning-after kind of thing---the stock market dropped again.
Are we worried about our shrinking retirements? Those unsanforised* dollars that have, for some, been pared by half! Are we afraid of what might happen to us as the economy contracts the world over? (I know that sometimes I think about what might happen).
Frankly my dear (never mind the rest) we have an advantage: We know what's coming while the world does not. The world worries about a rocket's red glare (excuse the pun) flying East from North Korea in search of Seattle, San Francisco, or Los Angeles. Of course perhaps a rocket will fly from Iran to Boston or our nations capital.
Some weeks ago we listened to a pastor who said that he and his wife had prayed, put everything in God's hands and decided to not be afraid. I could post a dozen or more texts of assurance but if we have already decided to be afraid what would be the point? So, here is just one: "Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. You believe in God, believe also in Me. In my Father's house are many mansions (rooms); if it were not so I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you, and if I go I will come again and receive you unto myself that where I am you may be also." [John 14:1-3].
Here's a postscript: Don't dilly dally thinking we've got light years of time before Christ returns; we don't.
If you haven't turned your life over to Jesus Christ do it today.
God Bless. e.c.
*Sanford Lockwook Cluett, 1840-1968; invented pre-shrinking cloth to prevent shrinkage on wash day.

No comments: