Monday, May 25, 2009

A Quote of Consternation

The EW quote I posted a day or so ago, I memorized more than fifty years ago. I had no peace from reading and memorizing the words regarding Christ's return with ... "a retinue of holy angels..."
The reason peace was absent was because I didn't understand the Gospel...the good news of the Christ, His sacrifice, and the work of the Holy Spirit. For years I thought that the perfection required of the redeemed was something I had to do...something I had to achieve.
Naturally, this brought continual and continuing consternation(for years) as I was stuck in the pernicious and erroneous rut of perfectionism. I didn't understand that it is the Grace of Jesus Christ and His Grace that makes one perfect.
When I came to understand the work of the Holy Spirit in my life, then came peace. The quote that was once consternation has become beautiful as I look forward to the return of Jesus with all His angels.
Take courage and read the quote again; not with a sense of what you have to do to be perfect in the sight of God but what Christ has done in dying on the cross and imparting His righteousness to every person who, by faith, will accept His gift free gift.
God Bless. e.c.

No comments: