Saturday, June 20, 2009

Driving Miss "Crazy"

Well, the time has come again to talk about driving, drivers, road rage, and the nutsy stuff one encounters daily while following the yellow lines.
I used to get upset a lot...but now just a little...sometimes not at all...when a (genderless) driver would do something less than prudent. Here's how it happened; I was watching the Christian TV program, Breath of Life, (one of my favorites), when the speaker (let's see...name...name...name...oh well) was talking about how he used to get upset with other drivers who committed rude or foolish driving errors. Here was his point: (paraphrased) ' You see, these other guys don't know where they're going, but I "know where I'm going" (speaking of heaven), so I can take my time, and be courteous. ' Why should I get angry with people who have no idea where they're going, but are always in a hurry to get there."
I thought; "What a great idea and way to deal with my own emotional reactions to rude drivers." So now, this is what I practice. Coming home yesterday some person in a red truck pulled into traffic right in front of me so I had to brake, and instead of getting all upset I said; "I forgive you brother/sister because you don't know where you're going. I know where I'm going. I'm going to heaven...soon. " Lord, help that driver to go to heaven too.
This kind of driving is a whole lot easier on one's mind mind and stomach than the ranting (and sometime cursing) I used to do.
Do you know where you're going?
God Bless. e.c.

No comments: