Monday, June 8, 2009

How To Evangelize: Step One

"The Holy Spirit, that melts and subdues the human heart will lead men to do the works of Christ." And what might be those works? "Sell that ye have, and give alms; provide yourselves bags which wax not old, a treasure in the heavens that faileth not." [Luke 12:23].
A conversation: Lord, are you really asking me to sell my stuff and give to the poor? to live an impoverished life and get rid of all my stuff? to sell stuff I have been collecting for decades? stuff that defines who I am? stuff that is stored in boxes that haven't been opened in years? stuff that fills my garage, my closets, my cupboards, and my storage site down the street?
The reader can decide whether or not Christ was serious and whether or not we (the church) are serious about Him. After Israel rejected God as their leader ]I Samuel 10:19] because they wanted to be like the other nations around them and be led by an earthly kind, they elected Saul. He was tall, probably handsome and presented a kingly appearance. Israel wanted a king they could see; that the other nations could see and envy. And where was Saul when he was supposed to be crowned king? he couldn't be found because he was hiding among the stuff [I Samuel 10:20-22]. (The NKJV translates "stuff" as "equipment" derived from the Hebrew, keily [Strong's H3627].
So, like Saul, we hide from the work of the Lord in the midst of our "stuff". I'm wondering if there's anybody out there who would take the Lord seriously; leave their stuff; sell their stuff, and devote themselves/ourselves to accomplishing the work of the Lord under the power, direction, guidance, and protection of the Holy Spirit.
Jesus Christ wouldn't really ask us to sell our stuff and labor for Him and His Kingdom; would He do that? seriously?
On this one I guess each of us needs to Go Figure this out by- and for- ourselves.
God Bless! We need it. e.c.

No comments: