Monday, August 10, 2009

Ecclesiastes 3:18-22

"I said in my heart, "Concerning the condition of the sons of men, God tests them, that they may see that they themselves are [like] animals." For what happens to the sons of men also happens to animals; one thing befalls them: as one dies, so dies the other. Surely, they all have one breath; man has no advantage over animals, for all is vanity. All go to one place: all are from the dust, and all return to dust. Who knows the spirit of the sons of men, which goes upward, and the spirit of the animal, which goes down to the earth? So I perceived that nothing [is] better than that a man should rejoice in his own works, for that is his heritage. For who can bring him to see what will happen after him?
At Creation God breathed life intoman and he became a living being (soul) [Genesis 2:7]. The "spirit" of man that "goes upward" at death is the breath of life that returns to God who gave it. (The word translated 'spirit' is the Hebrew word, 'ruach' which refers to 'wind, breath, mind' [Strong #7307].
Solomon writes with a pensive tone as he considers the lot of mankind; in fact, the fate of all living creatures: "For the living know that they will die; but the dead know nothing." [Eccl. 9:5].
Reading the news on the computer this morning I was impressed (and a little frightened) by the reported violence that is going on in the world and that is escalating as the time is approaching when God will call an eternal "Time Out!" on sin and its baleful effects touches every family and eventually, every person.
So why am I afraid...today...at this moment?
Because I know that as all things unwind, run down, and stop, so does man; so will I. But for the rest of today I will follow Solomon's advice (given through the Holy Spirit) and I will rejoice in my own works; building a gate, straightening my office, writing this post, and witnessing for Jesus Christ.
There! I feel better now.
God Bless. e.c.

No comments: