Wednesday, April 14, 2010

While it is called, Today

"For man also does not know his time: Like fish taken in a cruel net, like birds caught in a snare, so the sons of men are snared in an evil time, when suddenly it [death] falls upon them." [Eccl. 9:5]
For some reason I have been thinking about death. Not because I am ill, not because of an imagined tragedy, and not because I am aged. Most of my thinking has to do with the eventual separation that comes with death: The death of a husband; the death of a wife.
What follows are two poems I wrote; the first in 2006 following the death of my mother, and the second in 2009.

          Untitled

One heart went still today
      One of many
Her final breath flew heavenward
     To sleep that breathless sleep
My mother rests in the arms of God
     A quietude not too long
When this one among the many
     Will answer God's wakeup-morning song. e.c.

           Afterthought

What is love, if not spoken
     What is promise, if one is broken
What is time, if not spent
     With the one whom God has lent
From years of youth to end of age
     Till final touches turn a page
And we wait with patience not known in life
     When God calls again a man and wife.

I know not when time is spent
     Nor when one heart is torn in two
I think not of time and sorrow
     Finding joy today...not waiting for tomorrow
For what is love, if not oft spoken
     And to keep a promise forever unbroken. e.c.

As the writer of Hebrews quotes and encourages; "Today, if you will hear His voice, do not harden your hearts." [Psalm 95:7, 8 and Hebrews 4:7]
Today, tell someone you love them. Blessings. e.c.

No comments: