Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Avraham, Yitzak, Jacob

On my walk through Genesis on the way to Revelation I happened upon two verses in chapter 32: "So Jacob went on his way and the angels of God met him...Then Jacob said; 'O God of my father Abraham and God of my father Isaac, the Lord who said to me', "Return to your country and to your family, and I will deal well with you": 'I am not worthy of the least of all the mercies and of all the truth which You have shown Your servant...' " [Genesis 32:1, 9-10a].
Of course this set me wondering what it would be like to be met by angels. Sort of an angelic, luminous, "Hi Ed. What's up? How ya do'n ta-day? (I have no clue about angelic diction...I guess I'll just have to pray it isn't British English).
But back to my imagined encounter; most probably I'll never see--or be aware that I see--angels. It's both depressing and encouraging to know that someday I will see them: Depressing because it might not happen until the resurrection which, of course, means I will have died,a nd encouraging because every day I scan the eastern sky... just in case...just in case Christ is on His way back to get His children, who are also His bride, who are also His church.
These are, admittedly, simple thoughts from a simple man who refuses to lay down his hope though time (and it feels like a long time) rolls on. I see old friends give up; the light behind them goes out and they fall off the path into the deep, dark abyss below. (A bit of EW paraphrase there)
Looking back over my moments of life--72 years--with Jacob, I understand that I am not worthy of all the mercies and truth He has shown me, and continues to show me every day.
For example, I have learned more about and from the books of Daniel and The Revelation in past months than since I was baptised in 1949. Thank You Lord. (Sounds almost pentecostal, don't you think?) That's fine. If we can't be excited and enthusiastic about our God and His appearing then what does excite us? American Idol? That would be lamentable!
It has come to my notice over the past sixty years that a lot of folks are uncomfortable with "displays" of enthusiasm for the Lord and His work.
Let me make a de-posit: If we have to hunt for the last place or time we were excited about our God and His gospel we are probably sorely out of tune.
Time for a tune up!
God Bless. e.c.

No comments: