Friday, July 10, 2009

Universal Health Care

Seventh-day Adventists have a health plan; a universal health care plan sent by the Creator of the universe. There are some really great things about this plan;
1. It was designed by God
2. It is human-health specific
3. All humanity can benefit whether they "buy" into it or not
4. It is free to everyone
5. You might not ever have to see a doctor or be rushed to the hospital
6. Practically no one has to take insulin
7. Practically no one needs bypass surgery
8. Lung cancer would be history...mostly

Of course you know that I'm talking about a plant-based diet. Here are a few real and essential benefits of that diet;
1. It's difficult to be obese eating food as it is grown (maple bars don't grow)
2. Tomatoes don't clog the coronary arteries
3. Zucchini doesn't cause diabetes
4. Gourd plants (all kinds of squash) don't raise blood pressure
5. Using very little salt (only what is naturally in some plants) is not harmful
6. One can (usually) fit into the clothes they wore at age 30
7. The pharmacist isn't one of the people you visit on a regular basis
8. Your physician will wonder why your appointments are few-to-none

But of course, who wants to live like that? Answer: God wants all of His children to live like that. He designed our bodies, created and built them and then set the table and made..."out of the ground ...to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight and good for food..." Oh yes, I forgot; the tree of life was there too. [Genesis 2:9]
The plan is simple, the diet is simple, the food is simple, but some of us simpletons too often choose to set our own table and pile the food on our plates. Do we know that people who under eat live longer than those who overeat? Of course we do. (And not unlike Paul's statement, I used to be chief among those who overate so I have experienced what it is of which I speak; and I have been overweight; and I have been hypertensive (high blood pressure), and I was prediabetic; and for a time physicians thought I had had a TIA (transient ischemic attack; sort of like a prestroke). It was a warning!
So what happened? Well, many already know the story but here it is again in abstract form: My wife put me on a plant-based diet, stopped using all dairy products, served only plant-based fats (olives, olive oil, avocados), stopped cooking high glycemic foods (white rice, white potatoes, white grained pasta) and switched to whole grain foods...and there are lots of them out there and readily available in almost every supermarket.
And the results? My doctor keeps reducing my high blood pressure by half (twice now), 28 pounds lighter, 32 inch waist (had to give away clothes that were too big), no more panic attacks (we've deduced these were from too much refined foods), cholesterol dropped 50 points...I could probably go on but I sense some may be getting bored.
Adventists have a health message to give to their neighbors and the world but some of us hide it under the macaroni and cheese, potato salad, and cookies on our plate. That was me, so I have every right to talk about these things and to chasten and chide my church brothers and sisters who have not yet "got it."
Be certain; God wants us to "get it."
Don't just think on these things...do them.
God Bless. e.c.

No comments: