Tuesday, November 11, 2008

I Don't Wanna' Know

Once upon a time we set up a blood pressure testing station at a Marine swap meet at the marina in Chula Vista, California. It was free (of course) because we thought we were providing a service, and that they would want to know if they were at risk.
Nope!
Obese men (mostly) whose belly's made too much demand on their belts would say, "I don't wanna know!" as they strolled by looking for a buy. (I don't know for sure of course, but it seemed that most of these guys were doing more than their best to support the (beer) economy)
What was/is true for blood pressure is true about the imminence of the return of Jesus Christ. There are die hard, dedicated unbelievers (this is for them also but they won't read it), but most of us either don't know or don't want to confront world conditions head-on and perhaps be pushed (by our conscience) into making changes in our lives; changes that keep nagging us somewhere in the back of our minds; somewhere we keep pushing them to avoid meaningful conversation with ourselves and with God.
"I should start going to church"
"We should go to church more often"
"Smoking is probably killing me; I really ought to quit"
"I need to be a better husband and father to my kids"
"I need to be a better wife and mother"
"I've gotta dump my girlfriend; If my wife ever finds out..."
"I'm a deacon in my church and I know I shouldn't drink"
"The things I (steal) from the company are small besides..."

How long is the list? It is as long as the sum of the conscience of every rational being in the world. In the section on "Ethics" I said everyone knows what they ought to do but not all (read most of us) do not do the "oughts." The reason is simple: we can't, because as St. Paul says, "For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin. For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do. If then, I do what I will not to do, I agree with the law that it is good. But now, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me. For I know that in me (that is in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find. For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice...Oh wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? [Romans 7:14-19 & 24].
Then comes the answer to the problem of our sin and of doing what we know we ought not to do.
"There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit." [Romans 8:1].
Those who are in Christ have put on the pure robe of His righteousness; the one that is free; the one He provides because He paid the price for our sins on the cross. Christ says, 'Here, put it on. It's free. I bought it for you!"
The problem is that though this redemption has been known since the beginning of the world and that the Bible teaches from Genesis to Revelation (read Genesis 15:5, 6), many, many, walk past, their belly's full of unrighteousness, and when asked if they want free forgiveness, they reply: "I don't wanna know!"
God Bless and Go Figure! e.c.

No comments: