Monday, November 3, 2008

Spring Ahead, Fall Back

The clock on my computer is telling me it's 08:29 hours. Funny, it feels more like 07:29. I guess it really is because during the night, at some magic moment, time retreated and we went are able to relive an hour of our life--unless you live in Arizona or some other state where time-thrift is not a virtue.
Saving daylight is an interesting philosophical concept (to a few) when one thinks about it; the underlying existential act of extending the light of day symbolizes man's fear of celestial night but more deeply, our fear of an ultimate night.
Saving daylight gives us more time to do things, go places, buy stuff, build, tear down, design and redesign or just look at ourselves in the mirror. "This is stupid," you say, because the pragmatic solution when our saved daylight is all gone is to turn on the light!
Time:There is never enough of it either in the day or our own span of years. My wife (whom I affectionetly call, J.B.) were talking just yesterday about how quickly fifty-one years of marriage have fled. Fifty-one years sounds like a lot and I guess it is, but its not enough.
In the eternal scheme of things we can't see and even in the cosmic things we can see, time, whether measured in moments or light years is but an augenblicht (an eye blink). One's kisses are always too short and pain of all shades and shapes is too long.
The Apostle Paul, writing to the people in ancient Corinth, pours out his heart saying, "For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory, while we do not look at the things that are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal. For we know that if our earthly house (body), this tent, is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed with our habitation which is from heaven...." [2nd Corinthians 4:17-5:2].
The day is too short, my days will be too short, the bed is too short [Isaiah 28:20] and the covering of this life is too narrow for me to wrap myself up in it [Ibidem].
When will the time come when time will end? ...when forever with JB is just a honeymoon, when there is no sickness, no pain, no death. I know the answer; you can read it in Revelation 21:4.
Time can't be saved it can only be spent so spend it wisely and unselfishly.
One final thought while I still have time: My faith is set on Jesus the Christ and I will be with Him, my J.B., my friends, and friends I have not met. I will spend eternity where time is not saved but all the those with Christ 'who are saved from the uttermost part(s) of the earth.' [Mark 13:27].
(Gotta go now. Breakfast is ready and I have lots of things to do today because time is short! God Bless! e.c.

No comments: