Saturday, January 9, 2010

Just change the speed limit!

Once upon a time we owned a Mazda MX6 GT Turbo. It shifted into 4th gear at 100 miles an hour. Somewhere between Shoshone and Baker (CA), on a straight road that went to the horizon, I said to my wife, "I'll watch the road, you watch the speedometer and call out the numbers." (This was a 2-door coupe with a four cylinder engine). There was not a car in sight so I stopped in the middle of the road on the dotted line. The pedal went to the metal, the turbo cut in and off we went. Sure enough; 4th gear at 100 mph. The numbers started coming: ...105 ...110 ...120 ...130 ...133 ...135 ...137 ...140... "That's enough!" I said. "There's more in there but I've seen all I need!" So we slowed to 70. Never before and never again do I need to go that fast.
Assume that a CHP (California Highway Patrol) would have...could have caught me. Then what? "Let me see your license," and the usual question, "Do you know how fast you were going?" I'd have to say, "Of course!" He'd take out the ticket book, open it, flip back a few pages and start scribbling.
"Wait a minute, wait a minute!" I'd protest. "There's nothing out here...nobody...who would know we were speeding and if they did, why would they care?" "You broke the law" he's say. "Well, why don't you just change the speed limit!" I can see him take off his sunglasses (slowly), fold them, put 'em in his shirt pocket, push back his hat...just a little... and say, "The law wouldn't be law if it changed for guys like you who want to do their own thing." Uhhh...good point.
More tomorrow. e.c.
Thank you Lord nothing happened to us.

No comments: