Saturday, January 2, 2010

Just Tell Me The Rules...

I was reading Janie B. Chaney in "World Magazine" and was stopped in my tracks when she said; "Chains can look like freedom. 'What's liberating about Islam is that one is spared from having to think,' claimed a recent convert to a Norwegian journalist. 'There are rules for everything....I just have to learn the rules, and then act. So I know that I'm doing the right thing.' "
Well, if you're thinking the say I think...actually, that's very improbable...the things that come to mind save one from having to think...I think. Things like, 1) one ought not go to movies; 2) Adventists don't (usually) dance; 3) don't drink alcohol; 4) smoking is bad for you...don't do it; 5) pay an honest tithe; 6) absolutely don't eat pork; 7) study the Sabbath School lesson daily.
I'll stop a seven because that's enough to make my point: Any and all Adventists who are content to abide by the rules, and do so in order to know they are doing the right thing, are most probably doing the wrong thing.
A relationship with God that one builds on following rules is not a relationship is not building anything authentic or lasting. Anyone content with not having to think is in danger of dispensing cliches rather than sharing the Gospel and the Love of Jesus Christ. When God says; "Come now and let us reason together..." this is not the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, this would be the God of the Jews whom they managed to reduce to hundreds of rules. They ended up killing God; the One who wanted to engage His people and call them His friends [See John Chapter 15].
Make no mistake, I am conservative because I choose to be. Being liberal is not a sign of freedom in Christ; it's more a sign of retreat; of changing the rules and moving away from God rather than being engaged in thoughtful study and worship. Sadly, a non-thinking Adventist, one satisfied with a list of rules, is very probably a lost...or at least....misplaced Adventist.
Think on these things.
God Bless. e.c.

No comments: