Saturday, August 7, 2010

Hating Hatred

I'm finding a feeling emerging from some dark place in my nephesh that I didn't know existed. It is hatred.
The more I see, hear, and read the news about murderous, militant Islamic terrorists, this hatred rises with a discomforting ease within my mind, leaving lingering thoughts; some manage to escape as opinions.
Senseless violence has always been a target of my wrath; especially when directed against children...the most innocent of the innocent.  But my anger is powerless, and has nothing to offer: No solutions, no answers; just free-floating anger that makes me its most vulnerable target.
Daily...sometimes hourly, or moment by moment, I have to remind myself that Jesus, The Christ, died for every Muslim who purchases a one-way ticket to his/her paradise with a bomb strapped to their body. I need to remember that the Mexican, Central American, and South American drug cartels...the ones that hire police and jailed murderers to do their killing...that their salvation was paid for on the Cross by Jesus Christ.
There is an anger afoot in the world that seems to know no bounds of expression; the more grizzly, the more the point is driven home. It is near impossible to escape these feelings because it is difficult to escape the news. We reject mainline cable and satellite news sources. We reject the newspapers and newsmagazines because the headlines are sufficiently horrific and we don't need or want more details.
The world is a train wreck and I don't care to slow down and gawk at the carnage.
Satan is gathering as many as he can, and as fast as he can because he knows his time is short. What we are watching is like a disgruntled employee who goes to work with an arsenal of guns and ammo and kills as many as he can before he kills himself. In the cases of the devil and the employee, their motives are not far apart; Satan wants to leave as deep a scar as possible on the heart of God before his own eternal destruction; deeper than the ones he left on Christ at His crucifixion. The angry employee hopes to leave behind as much pain and suffering as possible....it would be better had he started with himself.
It is for good reason that Peter writes "Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour." [1st Peter 5:8].
What is to be my response to this creeping anger that is rising up in my soul [nephesh] in reaction to the evil being acted out every ticking second of the day over the face of the earth? Peter has a suggestion; "(Christ) 'Who committed no sin, nor was deceit found in His mouth', who, when He was reviled, did not revile in return; who when He suffered, He did not threaten, but committed to Him who judges righteously...'". [1st Peter 2:22, 23]
I have to commit this issue to Christ. Anger is not an answer, it is a problem because wickedness is too great, Evil is too heavy, I am no match for a roaring lion. I can't shoulder this load. Besides, Jesus The Christ has already done that.
A Sabbath's Blessings. e.c.

No comments: