Thursday, August 26, 2010

A Selfish Lot We Are

Human nature is, by nature, a selfish beast...whether in the church or out of the church, I do not know. God knows. [a left-handed reference to 2nd Corinthians 12:2 and 5].
This morning's walk started me thinking about heaven, going there, being able to see without strong glasses, being able to hear without hearing aids, being able to run without back and knee pain...when suddenly it dawned upon me what I was doing; making a "Christmas" wish list for all the personal benefits that I would derive from His return.
So I turned the question inward and laid a foundation in principle by asking the question; "What are the principle rewards of heaven? those derived in "koininia"[community]. And the list was completely different and, for the moment, free from selfishness.
A picture formed in my mind about sitting with Jesus...when my turn comes...talking about what I think of as "the big issues." For certain, I don't know what I'm talking about here because my center of focus is me; and that's my point; but I'm not alone.
When one ages, or is sick, or unemployed, or lonely, or depressed, or a thousand other things, the mind naturally turns inward and fixes its stare on self. We can't help it; as Paul would say, "...it is no long I who do it [sin] but sin that dwells in me." And "For what I will to do, that I do not practice, but what I hate, that I do." [Romans 8:17 and 14b].
EW makes an interesting comment. She has written that if we were to outline sin from greatest to least (they are not all the same) Roman Numeral I. would be "Selfishness." It is the most fundamental of all motives for sin of every color and kind.
So today I'm trying to focus on what I can be, do, and say that dodges me out of the picture and puts Christ in my place.
...thinking... wonder if i'll be able to keep this up till noon...?
Blessings. e.c.

No comments: