Saturday, May 15, 2010

Humphry The Church Mouse--page 5 of 10

What had happened to Humphry was terribly mean
But deep inside where love should live, it seemed
That...knowing Humphry, I can only suggest
All things would somehow work out for the best.

The saying goes that church mice are poor
'Cause there's hardly a crumb a poor mouse can store
But those who feel Humphry had a bad deal
Never counted crumbs at an after-church meal.

One night he thought out loud, ""Is it true?
I should love everybody; not just a few?
Surely king Rat would loudly deny
"Love everybody? Harumph! It's a lie."

"I've heard (Humphry thought) words about living
The preacher said some Commandments were given
On a stone, Moses wrote amidst thunder and fire."
It was then Humphry knew king Rat was a liar.

Our mouse awoke one cool, fall day
Planning to go outside to play
Hurrying along the shiny church floor
He saw, "Ten Commandments" just over the door.

"Hmmmm,"  he mused, "Forget about play
I want to know what these Ten Words say"
And for the first time ever he studied and read
All the Commandments, God long ago said.

The Ten Commandments

I     Worship not God but Me

II    Do not make for yourselves images of anything in heaven,
       or on earth or in the water under the earth. Do not bow down
       to any idol or worship it because I Am the Lord your God
       and I tolerate no rivals. I bring punishment on those who hate 
       Me and on their descendents down to the third and fourth 
       generation. But I show My love to thousands of generations
       of those who love Me and obey My Laws

III   Do not use My name for evil purposes, for I, the Lord your
       God will punish anyone who misuses My name.
More anon. e.c.

No comments: